Drug store longwear lipsticks are so important to the wearer of red lipstick. The sad day came when I ran out of my favorite stay-all-day red lipstick color and of course it is now discontinued. So I tried out some new red longwear lipsticks from the drugstore that won’t break my wallet.
Ratings are to . Keep in mind that I live in Denver, which is a very dry climate and can effect how drying a product can be. If you live somewhere with a lot of humidity, your results could be different.
Some of the links in this post may earn me a commission. I link these items because of their quality and not because of the commission I may receive. I am an independent blogger and the reviews are done based on my own opinions.
Revlon Colorstay Overtime Lipcolor
Revlon Colorstay Overtime Lipcolor a good middle ground option. It didn’t crack or get gritty or make my lips feel like I have a dry coating over them. I did need to reapply after eating. But that is a fine trade off for me to avoid the heavy feeling of a lot of longwear lipsticks. The color is slightly transparent. If you are looking for a solid opaque color, this might not be what you are looking for.
You might also like: Cake Mascara – Vintage application without the vintage germs
Maybelline Super Stay 24 Color
Maybelline Super Stay 24 Color lipstick was not the best. When I first put it on, I could really feel it on my lips, but I think it just needed to dry completely. About 30 minutes later I couldn’t feel it. It started to break apart and get grainy after about 3 or 4 hours on my lips, which makes me think this one is not the one that will make my list of recommendations.
You might also like: 1950s 1,000 Beauty Hints
L’Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte Liquid Lipstick
The L’Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte Liquid Lipstick is a personal favorite of mine and has been for years. It went on smooth like butter and after 4 hours, it was still opaque and looking great. This is a great one. Now I need to get ALL of the colors.
L’Oreal Rouge Signature Matte Lip Stain
The L’Oreal Paris Makeup Rouge Signature Matte Lip Stain is also a longwear lipstick. It gets a big thumbs up for the fact that it is in the orange-red color that I love to wear (looks good with my red hair). It dried fast and is opaque with 2 quick coats. It did wear off some after drinking and snacking for 4 hours, but I can’t feel it on my lips. This one is going in my purse.
NYX Professional Makeup Soft Matte Lip Cream
NYX Professional Makeup Soft Matte Lip Cream was also a winner. It goes on really creamy and dries quickly. It didn’t get gritty and lasted pretty well.
You might also like: What do you know about Vanishing Cream?
Your (Readers) Favorite Longwear Lipsticks
I shared the test results on Instagram and Facebook and readers offered their own favorites and opinions too and I have included them here. And of course…leave your comments here on the blog on your favorite drugstore brand longwear lipstick!
- bettygarcia.online The nyx is my jam!
- kyriesodyssey Have you done any reviews on nontoxic lipsticks? These are all full of chemicals, so I cannot wear them. But I would be interested in reviews about companies like #100percentpure or #purehaven if you could do those 😀
- msmiyamoto I love the Wet n Wild MegaLast in 911D. I put it on lightly then blot it and reapply. It’s a gorgeous red with a blue undertone. I went out for breakfast one day and actually had someone ask about my lipstick because it stayed put through eating and drinking and wiping and I didn’t have to reapply it after. It doesn’t dry out my lips or get flakey and gritty. It’s my go to lipstick.
- aliciacparker and I think Wet and Wild is cruelty free! Thanks for the recommendation.
- laura.buffone Looks like L’oreal knows what they are doing! I am going to give them a try, thank you for this!
- mrsnhook Great review!! My go to is Jeffree Star liquid lips
- maurytheparty Hmm I have the Maybelline one! It was my first foray into long wear lipsticks though, so it looks like it could be time to upgrade! I do find myself reapplying a lot throughout the day, and a few hours in I have to scrub off the peeling with a paper towel. It usually goes back on smooth after that tho, but that’s an annoying step!
- erin_rawr I’m a fan of ColourPop for long-lasting color. I like orangey-reds, too, and one of the Lippie Stix in that color lasted for a whole dance recital in which I performed three times over the course of 2.5 hours. No touch-ups needed, and I drank a lot of water in between dances.
- pin_up_curl I really like Rimmel Provocalips. It’s so long lasting it’s still on the next morning! It does get a bit gritty but there’s a balm to reapply to soften it. I do wish it was more matte though, but it’s the longest lasting lipstick I’ve ever tried
- Natasha I love Rimmel and Wet n Wild ones
- Sarah The best is Rimmel Provocalips. I wear it every day and it lasts from 5am until 9pm with no smudging, no wear and no shifting. The Reds are gorgeous.
- Liv I swear by Rimmel. I use their 1000 kisses lip liner and have all day budge proof lipstick.
- Melissa Revlon colorstay has been my go to for 10 years. Mine stay on all day through eating ( non greasy ) and drinking. I wear the reds. One is a clear red and the other blue red. No problem at ALL with opacity! I give it 4 lipsticks! Oh and the most important…I wear invisalign. It is the only one that doesn’t get on my trays!
- Alyssa Have you tried Stila Liquid Lipstick?? I swear by it!! It stays on all day, doesn’t have a weird texture, and the colors are great!
- Michelle Wet and wild cat suit ones are great liquid lipsticks
- Rachel I love L’oreal in general. all quality stuff. Even their regular colour riche lipstick stays on almost all day and feels great. I reapply after eating, maybe on the way home, but that’s it.. it’s like my chapstick, ha.
- Debbie you should try Jeffree Star
- Dina LipSense is by far the best. Especially for reds.
- Karyn I bought a ton of Lipsense and liked it initially but it didn’t last on me long as they claim so I’m a bit disappointed. I tend to wear NYX a lot more now. It looks better when it wears off and applies easier.
- Allissia Try colourpop satin liquid lips they stay really good and and don’t try your lips out. The matte liquid lips are far too drying but the satin ones are great!